As part of the Becoming Mama Fertility Diet, I recommend making a fertility smoothie at least a few times a week.
This is a great source of glutothione, antioxidants, healthy fats, and fiber to boost your egg quality and balance your hormones.
There are several key things to remember to make sure your smoothie is a "fertility smoothie", and not loaded with sugar and other things that can actually be detrimental to your hormonal balance.
Here are the guidelines:
1. Always add greens – one big handful of spinach, baby kale, or chard – to make sure you’re getting glutothione to boost egg quality and help your liver detoxify.
2. Add a handful of berries – to get a boost of antioxidants for your egg quality. I recommend a mix of frozen blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. Safeway sells a big bag of this Organic Triple Berry Blend.
I don’t recommend frozen strawberries because they make the smoothie too frozen. We don’t want your smoothie to be too cold (you can’t grow a baby in a fridge - we want to keep your body warm and blood flow circulating).
Avoid fruits that are too sweet and high-glycemic like mango, pineapple, or banana. We want to keep your blood sugar stable. I do love adding frozen cherries or fresh peaches – they are delicious!
3. Add your liquid. Use full-fat unsweetened almond or coconut milk. You can also use water or coconut water. Don’t add juice or skim milk for the liquid – these spike your blood sugar.
4. Add 1-2 scoops of protein powder. This keeps you full longer and your blood sugar & hormones stable.
5. Add at least one source of good fat & fiber. I recommend half an avocado – it makes the smoothie so creamy and delicious. Other options are 1TBS of chia seeds, hemp seeds, hemp hearts, or flax seeds. These are all wonderful for fertility, a great source of omega 3 fatty acids and fiber - which fight inflammation, boost your egg quality, balance your hormones, keeps you full longer and balances your blood sugar.
6. Blend it up! I use a NutriBullet blender, which I highly recommend. It is powerful and the best part is how easy it is to clean.
7. Drink a glass of warm lemon water before or after your smoothie, to counter the cold effects of the smoothie as well as help your liver and stay hydrated.
FREE REPORT: Boost Your Fertility
Find out these research-based, clinically proven strategies every woman needs to know.