Happy (almost) New Year! Do you have any fun plans for tomorrow night? I’m going to be cozied up in the mountains with my family. Mellow New Year’s Eves are my favorite.
If you are planning on going to a celebration bash, here is some advice to help you prepare for the day after and get your body back to normal as quickly as possible…
The liver needs both enzymes and water to process and eliminate the toxins. When supplies run low, it takes water, essential vitamins and nutrients from other organs, including the brain. This is why alcohol is so dehydrating and can cause headaches, fatigue, and dry mouth. Here’s more info from the Mayo Clinic about hangovers.
- – Eat low glycemic food (protein!) before and after you drink to counter the sugar depletion cause by alcohol, which causes headaches, jitters, and shakes.
- – Avoid dehydration by drinking as much water as possible while you’re drinking alcohol and before you go to bed.
- – Take a B-complex vitamin supplement plus extra thiamine (100 mg) to counter the B-vitamin depletion caused by alcohol.
- – Take the herb Milk Thistle to prepare your liver for a heavy night and aid in detoxification.
- – Choose beverages that are “cleaner.” Some distilled beverages are rich in types of alcohol called congeners – toxic impurities that can greatly add to your woes. Bourbon, rum and cognac are particularly dirty, while vodka is the cleanest.
Enjoy, I hope this helps!!